EBRD lends RON 33.2 million for project cofinanced by EU funds: Water and wastewater modernisation in Satu Mare, RomaniaPublish date: 03-08-2012
Satu Mare, another county in Romania is getting an upgrade of its water and wastewater services, financed by the EU Cohesion Fund and co-financed by the EBRD.
The EBRD is providing a RON 33.2 million (€7.8 million) loan with 15-year maturity to the water and wastewater utility of the county of Satu Mare, S.C. Apaserv Satu Mare S.A, to co-finance a regional investment programme of €126.4 million equivalent, approved by the European Union, which includes significant grant funding from the EU.
The upgrade is expected to greatly reduce water losses, optimise costs and bring these services in line with EU environmental directives.
"The EBRD is committed to improving urban infrastructure, particularly water services, in Romania and helping the country to absorb EU cohesion funds. This loan will enable the company to modernise water and wastewater infrastructure in seven urban agglomerations of Satu Mare,” said Jean-Patrick Marquet, EBRD Director for Municipal and Environmental Infrastructure.
"This is a very important project for Satu Mare county. As many as 15 thousand people will be newly connected to the centralised water system. As a result of this upgrade, half of the county's 390,000 inhabitants will benefit from improved water and sewerage services,” said Ioan Leitner, Director of the utility company S.C.Apaserv.
The loan is part of the Bank's Romania EU Cohesion Funds Water Co-Financing Framework. Satu Mare's utility is the thirteenth company in Romania to benefit from a water/wastewater services upgrade under the Framework. To date the Bank has invested €200 million under the Framework and has mobilised more than €1 billion of EU funding in Romania's water and wastewater facilities.
Since the beginning of its operations in Romania, the EBRD has invested close to €6 billion in over 315 projects in the country.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei