Upgrading water supply network in Romania's Mures county €15.9 million loan to S.C. Compania Aquaserv S.A.Publish date: 18-04-2012
About 300,000 residents of Romania's Mures and Harghita counties are to benefit from improved water and wastewater services, and 60,000 people will gain access to a reliable water supply with the support of a €15.9 million financing from the EBRD.
The loan is extended to S.C. Compania Aquaserv S.A., the water utility company operating in Mures county in central Romania, to finance the extension and modernisation of water infrastructure.
The EBRD financing is part of the Bank's Regional EU Cohesion Fund Co-financing Framework (R2CF), and will be used to co-finance the company's €115 million EU Cohesion Fund investment programme for upgrading regional water and wastewater facilities.
The project will enable S.C. Compania Aquaserv S.A. to expand and modernise its water and wastewater network in seven towns - Targu Mures, Reghin, Sighisoara, Tarnaveni, Ludus, Iernut and Cristuru Secuiesc, as well as 57 communes. With the support of the Bank's investment, most of the region's population served by the company will be connected to a centralised water supply by 2014.
The investment will help S.C. Compania Aquaserv S.A. improve the quality of its water supply, wastewater collection and treatment services in line with relevant EU directives, and allow the company to improve its operational efficiency through reduced water losses and lower costs.
The project is supported by technical assistance grants provided by the government of Spain and the Bank's Shareholder Special Fund.
R2CF was launched in 2010 as a €200 million EBRD framework to provide additional financing to Romanian municipalities by investing in water and wastewater infrastructure. To date the framework has mobilised more than €1 billion of EU funding for Romania's water and wastewater facilities.
Previously, the EBRD supported similar investments in Bistrita-Nasaud, Braila, Brasov, Buzau, Constanta, Covasna, Dambovita, Iasi, Sibiu and Timis counties. Since the beginning of its operations in Romania the EBRD has invested over €5.7 billion in more than 300 projects in various sectors of the country's economy.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei