Romania's current-account deficit widens 50 pct in H1 2010Publish date: 11-08-2010
In January-June 2010, Romania's balance-of-payments current account posted a deficit of EUR 3,647 million, 50.0 percent higher than in the same period of 2009, due largely to the 49.9 percent decrease year on year in current transfers surplus, the National Bank of Romania (BNR) reported on Wednesday.
Non-residents' direct investment in Romania worth EUR 1,838 million (as compared with EUR 2,588 million in January-June 2009) covered 50.4 percent of the current account deficit in the first semester of 2010. In January-June 2010, out of the total figure, equity stakes (including reinvested earnings) amounted to EUR 1,408 million (as compared with EUR 1,378 million over January-June 2009) and intra-group loans to EUR 430 million (compared with EUR 1,210 million).
Medium- and long-term external debt at end-June 2010 stood at EUR 71,213 million (81.8 percent of total external debt), 8.4 percent above the level recorded at end-2009.
Short-term external debt at end-June 2010 totalled EUR 15,814 million (18.2 percent of total external debt), up 8.3 percent from end-2009.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei