What it's like carrying 11 kilogram gold bars. An article from Romania's best guarded safePublish date: 27-07-2010
Gandul presents in great detail the place where Romania's treasure is kept, part of the 100 tons of gold of the Romanian state which is safeguarded by the National Bank of Romania. "You know what we say when they bring in some more gold? «The potatoes are here»".
Next to the wide open door sits a middle-aged woman, somebody you could imagine running into in the subway or at a supermarket. There's nothing about her that really attracts your attention. Almost nothing. She is one of the few persons who have a key to the safe that guards part of the 100 tons of gold treasure which until recently has only been visited by a few Romanian or foreign officials, and us, a few journalists.
After 15 years of looking at and touching tons of precious metal, the lady and her colleagues say they've contracted sort of an aversion to gold: "look at my jewelry; I only wear silver and a few stones", says the same lady that makes fun saying "the potatoes are here".
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei