Mugur Isarescu: Romania cannot correct its structural deficit by economic growth alonePublish date: 22-07-2010
Governor of the National Bank of Romania (BNR) Mugur Isarescu told a debate organized in Bucharest, on Wednesday, that Romania could not correct its structural deficit by an economic growth alone, but also that this country's sovereign debt was not dramatic at all.
"Budgets are in distress not only in Romania, but also everywhere Europe. In Romania, even if some figures have a dramatic character, Romania's sovereign debt is not dramatic at all. As for budget deficits, people worry not only about their size, but also about their structure. The budget deficit is difficult to correct and one of its corrections does not only arise from an economic growth. The mere economic growth does not correct a structural deficit," said Isarescu.
The BNR official added that financing structural deficits through a number of circumstantial measures may lead to Romania joining a vicious circle that will make investors not trust it any more.
"Financing these deficits through increases in interests, for example, can be a prelude to a vicious circle that makes markets not trust this country any more and even avoid financing. The financial overdraft is given by the size of the deficit. Money does not fall from heaven. Real money comes from resources," said Mugur Isarescu.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei