EcoMin: Romania's economic restart not any sooner than 2011Publish date: 18-07-2010
The restart of Romania's economy will not occur any sooner than 2011, as the floods and VAT hike caused it to fall by almost one percent of GDP, Minister of Economy, Trade and Business Environment Adriean Videanu on Friday told the public radio station.
"If it hadn't been for the floods that bit off almost one percentage point of the GDP - the precise assessment is now being done - and if we hadn't been forced to increase the VAT, I think we could have spoken of an economic restart as of Q3 this year. But given these two unpredictable elements, which are out of the government's control, I believe that the economic restart will occur only as of next year," said Videanu.
He explained that the temporary reduction of public sector wages and pensions were the best fit measures for attaining the fiscal balance of the budget, better anyway than hiking taxes.
Romania's economy will probably shrink by at least one percent in 2010, more than previous forecasts, Finance Minister Sebastian Vladescu declared on June 29.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei