Unemployment rate up to 8.1 pc in Q1 2010Publish date: 07-07-2010
Unemployment rate - calculated according to the International Labour Organization (ILO) procedure - topped 8.1 pc in the first quarter of 2010, up by 7.5 pc from the previous quarter and by 6.9 pc from a year ago, the National Statistics Institute (INS) reports, quoted by HotNews. In the first three months of 2010, the active population of Romania stood at 9.72 millions, of which 8.83 millions were occupied and 787,000 were jobless, according to ILO procedure.
Statistic data put urban unemployment rate at 5.8 pc. The unemployment rate throughout Q1 was close to the ILO figure: 8.1 pc in January, 8.3 pc in February and 8.4 pc in March 2010. INS however makes clear that the two sets of figures (its own and the ILO indicators) cannot be compared, because they refer to different time intervals and categories of people. In Q1 this year, the employment rate of population aged from 15 to 64 reached 57 pc, down 0.4 pc from both the previous quarter and from Q1 2009. The same as in the previous quarters, the employment rate was higher for the male population (64.0 pc, against 50.0 pc for women) and for people living in rural areas (57.6 pc, against 56.6 pc in urban areas). The employment rate of youth (aged 15 to 24) was 23.6 pc.
INS calculates the quarterly unemployment rate following an ILO procedure. According to ILO calculation, unemployment relies upon statistic research and consists in a home survey that gives the number of jobless and the active population. The unemployment rate is calculated each month by the National Employment Agency (ANOFM), as a ratio between the number of jobless registered with the Agency and the total active population.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei