PES leader: In last months we have been witnessing serious assault on democratic system in RomaniaPublish date: 17-06-2010
Agerpres correspondent Tudor Martalogu reports: Romania is in a state of social and economic crisis and in the last months we have been witnessing an assault on the democratic and welfare systems in this country, leader of the Party of European Socialists (PES) Poul Nyrup Rasmussen said ahead of a Summit of the European Socialists and Social Democratic leaders taking place in Brussels, on the eve of the summer European Council.
After having put the entire burden of the crisis on the shoulders of the public sector workers, of the children and of the retirees, Mr (Traian) Basescu now apparently limits the civil freedoms, among which the legitimate right to protest. Romania deserves something better, the PES leader said in a joint declaration with chairman of the Social Democratic Party (PSD, in opposition) Victor Ponta, who is to attend the PES leaders' meeting.
In turn, Ponta said that 'President Basescu has given the Government a totalitarian orientation'. 'His extremely difficult budget austerity - the only instrument he uses - has brought nothing else but more political instability and social troubles to the most serious economic crisis the Romanians are seeing', the Romanian Social Democratic leader said.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei