Romanian banking system's Q1 assets drop modestlyPublish date: 17-05-2010
Assets of Romanian banking system dropped 0.08% year-on-year in the Jan-Mar 2010 period to Euro 78.13 billion. In local currency, the industry's assets fell 3.2% to 320 billion lei, according to data provided by NBR. At the end of 2009, Romanian banks' collective net assets totaled 330.6 billion lei. Expressed in euro, at the reference rate set by the National Bank of Romania, the banking system's assets stood at Euro 78.2 billion.
Data were calculated at the reference rate set on December 30, 2009, of 4.2282 lei/euro, and at the March 31, 2010 rate of 4.0958 lei/euro. Compared to the same period of last year the assets of Romanian banking system, calculated in lei, dropped 3.7% to 332.34 billion lei.
Private capital credit institutions had 93% of industry's total net assets, while banks with foreign or majority foreign capital had 85.7% versus 93.7% and 86.6% respectively in the same period of last year.
The banking systems loan to deposit ratio grew 0.44% from end-2009 to 113.24%, but dropped 11.45% from Q1 2009.Of total bank lending, past due and doubtful loans accounted for 1.99%, up from 1.46% in December 2009 and from 0.66% in the first quarter 2009.Past due and doubtful claims had 1.39% share in total banking system assets, versus 1.01% at the end of last year and 0.52% a year earlier.
The industry's capital adequacy ratio rose to 14.73% in the period under review, from 14.03% at the end of 2009 and from 13.16% a year earlier. The statutory capital adequacy ratio is 8%. However, NBR recommends a minimum level of 10%.Return on assets stood at 0.55% in the Jan-Mar period, two-times higher from 0.24% at the end of 2009. On March 31, 2009 ROA was -0.25%. The market's return on equity reached 5.93% at the end of first quarter, double from 2.73% at the end of last year. In the year-ago period, ROE was -2.90%.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei