Mobile & PDA
BNR Exchange Rates27.03.2017
- 1 EUR 4.5500 RON
- 1 USD 4.1870 RON
- 1 CHF 4.2529 RON
- 1 GBP 5.2686 RON
- 1 gr. aur169.3164 RON
Stolojan: Taking Romania out of crisis will be more difficult than imaginedUpdated: Today, 27-04-2010 | Politics
Taking Romania out of the ongoing crisis will be difficult, because the country went into crisis 'fully disarmed,' Romanian MEP Theodor Stolojan told a conference on Friday in Bucharest on the European Union's Europe 2020 strategy.
'Taking Romania out of the current crisis will be harder than we imagined because the country was caught fully disarmed in terms of monetary policy and in terms of fiscal policy,' said Stolojan.He mentioned that over the past two decades Romania has twice reached vulnerable positions because of foreign balance mismanagement.
'In late 2008, Romania was put in a special vulnerability spot because its short-term debt was larger than the reserves of the National Bank of Romania (BNR), which were depleted of the statutory reserves the commercial banks had to set aside with BNR. Romania got out of this predicament by a massive loan of 20 billion euros. Getting out of the 1996-2000 crisis was made with internal resources, but escaping the predicament of the late 2008 required means that generate new risks for the years to come,' said Stolojan, quoted by Agerpres.
He warned that an increase by one percent in the interest rate on the international markets would mean 1 billion euro in additional payments for Romania on interest rates alone.'This time, Romania has no more chances of preventing other risks than by doing what is right in terms of productivity and competitiveness,' Stolojan pointed out.
He also warned that Romania has no more time to delay essential reforms, adding that an extra difficulty to Romania is the fact that Romanians are focused on a culture of rent extraction, and what is happening today with pension reform and uniform pay in the public sector and what will happen with the reform of the social security system reflect this spirit, including at the level of the Romanian Academy.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei
Most Popular News
- Three billion euros to be invested in energy private-public partnerships
- Romanian state plans to keep 8 pct of Petrom, at least
- IMF mission extends stay in Romania till May 9
- IMF, FinMin Vladescu discuss Government revenues collection
- Videanu admits that he is in conflict of interests in connection to Marmosim
- Greece gets 110 billion euros, biggest bailout in history
- BNR governor Mugur Isarescu: Situation is quite complicated
- Romanian-German meeting on fresh cooperation opportunities
- Gov't to earmark 6.4pc of GDP for investment
- FinMin Vladescu: Cutting 25pc off public wages pool will not generate needed savings