Farmers expect 4.8 mln tonnes of wheat crop this yearPublish date: 14-04-2010
Romanian farmers expect to harvest 4.8 million tonnes of wheat this year, which is close to the quantity reported by the authorities last year, i.e. five million tonnes.
The balance from last year's crop is due to a smaller area sown to wheat by 200,000 hectares, which means however that this year's average production per hectare will be bigger. At an average price of 110 euros per hectare, the value of the wheat market will pass half a billion euros, according to calculations by Ziarul financiar daily.
'The weather was fine, but 50 percent of the wheat-sown area did not receive a sufficient quantity of fertilizers for a higher production. In 2009, the crops were hit by calamity, but this year the production is small due to the lack of money for fertilizers. The total quantity could rise by some 400,000-500,000 tonnes if fertilizers were used at least as late as now. Last year, even though the ministry announced that the total wheat crop was five million tonnes, we actually obtained just four million tonnes, with the remainder being fodder wheat', Viorel Matei, the chairman of the Romanian Farm Producers National Federation told the daily.
In terms of the cultivated area, Romania ranks fourth in Europe, on the same spot with Britain, after France (5.1 mln hectares), Germany (3.2 mln hectares) and Poland (2.3 mln hectares). Nevertheless, the yield per hectare at 2.4 tonnes is less than half the European Union average.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei