Statement by IMF Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn at the Conclusion of his Visit to RomaniaPublish date: 01-04-2010
Mr. Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), issued the following statement today in Bucharest at the conclusion of his visit to Romania:
"It was a great pleasure for me to visit Romania and have the opportunity to discuss the country's economic progress with a broad range of people here, from government leaders to parliamentarians to academics and students. The IMF has long been a friend and partner of Romania, including during the recent financial crisis when we offered significant financial support. We look forward to our continued collaboration in the future.
I met today with President Traian Basescu, Prime Minister Emil Boc, Minister of Public Finance Sebastian Vladescu, and Central Bank Governor Mugur Isarescu. We had substantive discussions about recent economic developments and Romania's economic performance under the Stand-By Arrangement with the IMF. We agreed that full implementation of the economic program will be essential to ensuring long-term growth, increasing employment, and rising living standards.
In the wake of the crisis, Romania has faced a difficult set of policy challenges. With growth projected to turn positive again this year, it is essential that the bold adjustment program that has been undertaken should be maintained. A major challenge in particular will be to continue reforming the public sector, including state-owned enterprises, to become more efficient.
During my visit, I welcomed the opportunity to address Parliament and appreciated the discussion with parliamentary leaders beforehand. I also enjoyed the discussion with students at the Academy of Economic Studies and commend them for their probing questions and keen interest in global economic affairs and development.
I wish to thank the city of Bucharest and the Romanian people for their warm hospitality."
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei