Mechel acquires steel mill in RomaniaPublish date: 18-02-2010
Mechel, one of the leading Russian mining and steel groups, will soon add the Romanian steel mill Laminorul Braila to its East European Steel Division, as its Cypriot subsidiary Zoneline Limited nears the completion of the acquisition of the Austrian metal trader Donau Commodities, which owns an 87.81 percent stake in Laminorul. The transaction, the cost of which is expected to amount to $20 million, is currently being examined by the Romanian Competition Council.
According to the Russian newspaper Kommersant, the acquisition of Laminorul Braila will allow Mechel to significantly extend its product range and to achieve synergy with its other Romanian subsidiaries, namely, Mechel Targoviste, Mechel Campia Turzii, Ductil Steel Buzau and Otelu Rosu, which are specialized in the production of longs and hardware. However, steel demand in Europe, the main market for the products of Mechel's Romanian subsidiaries, is showing a slower recovery than in Russia or the US, with consumption in Europe at just 60 percent of the pre-crisis levels.
The Laminorul Braila steel mill was established in 1923 and is the only Romanian producer of flat bulb steel, which is used in shipbuilding. The plant also produces section steel, including I-beams, U-channels, unequal angles and equal angles and railway sections. Laminorul has two rolling mills, and also carries out cold and hot stamping. Its total rolling capacity amounts to about 400,000 mt per year. About 60 percent of Laminorul's products are exported.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei