Romanian M&A barely reaches €1 billionPublish date: 16-02-2010
Romanian M&A market reached €1.045 billion last year, while 80 deals worth over €1 million were shelved, according to a Capital Partners report. As Capital Partners has been keeping track of mergers and acquisitions for one year only, the report doesn't indicate the decline rate in the deal activity. However, a Thomson Reuters research indicates that 86 deals were completed last year in Romania, worth $2.1 billion (€1.45 billion).Raiffeisen Investment pointed to €5.3 billion of mergers and acquisitions in Romania in 2008, 20% decline from a year earlier.
"The market is visibly climbing out of the frozen mode since December 2009, in terms of buyers and sellers' interest in engaging in a deal. But it will take long before it actually reflects in the deal activity: I expect the market to recover slowly in 2010, and I hope to break even at least this year", said Doru Lionachescu , Partner of Capital Partners private equity investment firm. Investors and financiers have clearly changed their approach to the emerging market M&A which should contribute to the recovery of the local market, Lionachescu continued.
The investment banker said he expects a poor deal activity in the first quarter. "The first quarter of a year is usually the period when terms are negotiated, and only in the second half the deal is actually executed." The biggest deals in the Romanian market have been the €250-300 million acquisition of AB InBev brewer by CVC PE investment fund, that included local operations, the acquisition of private clinic operator MedLife by Societe Generale Asset Management and of Profi retailer by Enterprise Investors.Other two large deals announced last year have been the takeover of minority interests of Fondul Proprietatea and Electrica in CEZ Distributie and CEZ Vanzare by Czech-based CEZ and the €270 million acquisition of Zapp mobile carrier by Cosmote.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei