President Basescu looking for Prime MinisterPublish date: 16-12-2009
Negotiations to form a parliamentary majority are close to becoming a sure thing, following the validation by the Constitutional Court of Traian Basescu's second mandate as President of Romania.
His Democratic Liberal Party (PD-L) managed to obtain a majority, with three lawmakers, two Social Democrats and one National Liberal, who joined the "independent" ranks in the past few days. With the Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania (UDMR) by its side, following a promise of places in government, and the support of the parliamentary independents, PD-L can now obtain political support for an Executive, which requires 236 votes in Parliament. In a declaration for Realitatea FM radio, Vasile Blaga, PD-L official, said he does not exclude the possibility of the next Prime Minister being an independent, but insisted the appointment will be made by the Democratic Liberals.
"The candidate we supported for the presidential elections has won; we have the highest number of Parliamentarians, so it is natural that we should appoint the Prime Minister," said Blaga.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei