Ciolos: A Commissioner with a budget the size of Romania'sPublish date: 30-11-2009
Dacian Ciolos, nominated by the President of the European Commission for the agriculture portfolio, has every chance of being approved during European Parliament hearings, but he does not have the power to influence the Common Agriculture Policy (CAP) from his position of European Commission representative, according to analysts and officials interviewed by Business Standard.
"Romanian disillusionment will come from the fact that we will be unable to influence the agricultural policy with a commissioner who holds this portfolio. First of all, Romania has not applied convergent policies, clear strategies, but has remained archaic. Also, CAP will focus increasingly on a competitive formula, and Romania will be disadvantaged because it is not among the major decision-making or market players," said the former head of the European Affairs Department, Vasile Puscas.
The Agriculture Commissioner will manage funds worth over €40 billion, or 41 percent of the whole of the European Union budget, according to data provided by the European Commission. This amount is equal to Romania's general consolidated budget, which includes this year's revenues worth €36 billion and expenses of €45 bln.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei