Leasing market falls below 2005 level, to €1.07 blnPublish date: 13-11-2009
The leasing market declined dramatically in the first nine months of this year, by 74 percent, to €1.07 billion, due to the drop in financing on the equipment and vehicle segments.
According to data provided by the Association of Financial Enterprises in Romania (ALB), vehicle financing plunged 76 percent in the first three quarters, to €685.6 million, while the decline on the equipment segment was of 77 percent, to €210 mln.
"I hope that the decline on the market will stagnate in 2010. For this to happen, the government must propose anti-crisis measures and admit the deadlock in terms of the value-added tax. At the same time, provision-related costs must become more flexible. BNR [National Bank of Romania] said it will consider raising the provision deductibility ratio to 50 percent from a present 25 percent, but the Ministry of Finance refused this option, indicating that the fiscal impact will be negative," said Adriana Ahciarliu, ALB's Secretary General.
According to the official, the level of financing registered by the leasing market in 2008 will not be reached before 2012.
"The level of provisions is very high according to Romanian accounting standards and we ask for BNR's permission to calculate provisions based on the International Financing Reporting Standards (IFRS)," said Jean-Claude Boloux, ALB's President. According to ALB estimates, the Romanian leasing market will end 2009 with total financing worth €1.25 bln, 38 percent less than four years ago.
The structure of financing offered by leasing companies in the first nine months of this year indicates that cars make up 63.6 percent of the total, equipment 19.5 percent, while real estate properties accounted for 17 percent. In over 90 percent of the cases, the beneficiaries of leased goods are companies, while individuals make up for eight percent, and the public sector, for 0.67 percent.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei