Banks forced to divide their clients into winners and losersPublish date: 25-09-2009
Banks are willing to help their default clients, but resort to the use of a variety of methods: loyal clients, who have been working with the lender for a long time, are given priority when it comes to loan restructuring. Moreover, the bank can go as far as looking for a partner to capitalize the client's business, to offer him a chance to get back on track, the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of UniCredit Tiriac Bank, Dan Pascariu, told Business Standard.
"Lenders are trying to find solutions for those who request the rescheduling of their loans. There are also desperate situations, in which rescheduling will probably not be possible. Unfortunately, banks are forced to play God, choosing the winners and losers," Pascariu said.
Lack of confidence in the financial system
Regarding the collaterals behind the loans, the official said that caution, even before the crisis, determined banks not to grant loans without a down payment of a minimum 25 percent in the case of mortgages. This means that the value of the loan is below that of the mortgage plus down payment, so, for now, lenders are not in the red in this respect. The great problem of lenders worldwide, following the collapse of Lehman Brothers, was the lack of confidence in the financial system.
On the other hand, although the fear of a liquidity crisis is part of the general essence of banking, according to Pascariu, the current situation has determined parent banks to stop financing their subsidiaries worldwide, with these now forced to fend for themselves.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei