Patriciu: "In Georgia, I double my money twice as fast"Publish date: 23-09-2009
After confirming yesterday in Tbilisi the takeover of a 91 percent share package of the Popular Bank of Georgia together with Georgia's former Prim e Minister, Vladimer Lado Gugenidze, for &euro;15 million, Romanian businessman Dinu Patriciu said that he chose Georgia because this is one of the most liberal countries in the world economically.
"In terms of the ease to do business, the World Bank places Georgia in 11th place. We [Romania] rank 55th. The Georgian economy is so liberal that this country in the Caucasus will become a new Switzerland."
When asked if he expects a profitability rate higher than in real estate or media, the businessman said: "I plan to invest in things I enjoy. I enjoy starting a new restructuring with my partner, Lado Gurgenidze, like so many other restructurings I have engaged in. We know very little about countries such as Georgia, Malaysia, Rwanda, Botswana, and many others, about 20-25 countries in which the principle of governing actually leads to prosperity."
Regarding the possibility of him further investing in the Romanian financial sector, Patriciu said that he will only invest in Romania when this country is determined to progress, and tries to be a free market economy, with no constraints. The reason is not related to low risk investments, but rather to "growing with economies that grow. If GDP [gross domestic products] in such extremely liberal countries grows 10 percent, the population's deposits increase 50 percent."
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei