Mortgaged houses can be bought within the First HomePublish date: 22-07-2009
Banks which did not launch the "First Home" program so far, although they applied for it and were supposed to provide more than half of the funds guaranteed within the program, agreed with the Government yesterday that their clients can also purchase new apartments that were mortgaged by developers.
This allows banks to promote the projects of developers which they have financed and to resume the refinancing cycle for the construction of new homes. Through the "First Home" program, part of the Government's anti-crisis program, people who have never owned a home can buy one with loans with lower down payment (5 percent, compared to 15-25 percent otherwise) and better interest rates.
The state guarantees loans up to €60,000 per housing unit and totaling €1 billion. The local banking market leader, Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR), which committed to grant one third of the guaranteed funds, namely €308 million, announced it would start granting "First Home" loans in the coming days. The lender's management made this decision after a meeting with Prime Minister Emil Boc.
Managers of a further six banks - UniCredit Tiriac, OTP Bank, Bancpost, Raiffeisen, and Credit Europe Bank - also attended the meeting. "We had a very productive meeting. All parties had the chance to say their mind and clarify all aspects. There are still details to set up, but I am sure that it is a matter of days until the «First Home» program is fully operational," BCR Retail Vice-president, Martin Skopek, said.
Also yesterday, ING Bank, which had applied for the program, announced its official exit from the "First Home," on grounds that the guarantee proceedings lead to extra costs that are not in accordance with the lender's distribution model.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei