Romania Must Be Prepared For Possible Gas CrisisPublish date: 16-06-2009
Romania must find solutions to prevent a potential natural gas crisis during the winter, Economy Minister Adriean Videanu said Monday.
"We must find solutions in case Romania faces a natural gas crisis during the winter period. We must make sure the entire gas storage capacity of 3.015 billion cubic meters is being used and that all this quantity will be further stored; we must also make sure that we provide enough stocks of fuel oil and coal," Videanu said.
Videanu also said the ruling coalition leaders stressed upon the authorities finding solutions to ensure Romania's energy security during the winter period.
Videanu is the first vice-president of the Democrat Liberal Party PDL, which forms a coalition with the Social Democratic Party PSD.
Also, in the Monday coalition meeting, Videanu notified PDL and PSD heads on the energy-related talks at the last meeting of the Council of Europe. One of the meeting's conclusions was that Russia and Ukraine still diverge on the gas issue, the economy minister told the coalition leaders.
Early June, Russian Premier Vladimir Putin warned that Russia's gas supply to Europe, through Ukraine, may be suspended end-June or early July unless Ukrainian authorities pay for the gas stored in underground facilities.
In May, Russia rejected a proposal of Ukrainian Premier Yulia Tymoshenko, on Ukraine buying natural gas meant for its storage facilities worth up to $5 billion, into the account of transit tariffs to be paid by the Russian party, and talks reached a deadlock.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei