Romanian Railway Company To Retire 3,700 Employees - Transports MinisterPublish date: 25-05-2009
Romanian Transports Minister Radu Berceanu announced Monday, following talks with union members, the layoff of 3,700 employees of retirement age of national railway company CFR and the cutting of expenses on bonuses, equivalent to sacking 4,000 employees.
Gheorghe Popa, leader of the Miscare-Comercial union, said 920 employees will be sacked from CFR Calatori, 1,300 from CFR Marfa and 1,500 from CFR Infrastructura. Popa added that although the result of talks is unsatisfactory, the unions chose "the lesser evil", whereby the laid-off employees will receive a monthly pension.
Minister Berceanu said this measure is only the first step in a series of steps agreed upon by the unions and the ministry, and that talks will continue on other means of balancing the companies' budgets. He said that apart from the layoffs, certain expenses related to bonuses will be cut, equivalent to sacking 4,000 more CFR employees.
A study is to be conducted, which will establish how many railroad kilometers and train stations can be closed down, according to union members and minister Berceanu.
Popa said the collective labor contracts for the railway sector will be signed in a few days.
Gheorghe Popa said on May 12, following the unions' meeting with the transports minister, that the railway workers demanded "freezing salaries for 2009, blocking vacant seats and retiring those who meet the legal conditions," but did not agree to layoffs.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei