Basescu: Romania is interested in European technology for new nuclear power stationPublish date: 19-05-2009
Agerpres special correspondent Irinela Mica reports: President Traian Basescu on Monday told a working lunch he had with President of the French Republic Nicolas Sarkozy that Romania was interested in the European nuclear technology for building a second nuclear power station, said official sources at the Elysee Palace.
President Sarkozy also voiced France's willingness to take part in building such a power station.
During the meeting they also approached the subject of the motorway connecting Bucharest to Brasov (central Romania) and President Basescu made it clear that the company Vinci was chosen.
The two Heads of State also talked about the question of supplying energy for Europe. Basescu appreciated that Russia had the vocation of imposing itself to the neighbours especially in matters connected to energy. In this context Sarkozy pointed out that a coherent European policy in the field was necessary.
As for the economic crisis, the two Presidents admitted that Europe was seriously affected by this phenomenon, the French leader saying that the European plan made it possible to save the banking system.
Approaching subjects connected to international relations, Nicolas Sarkozy added that Romania was the seventh in Europe in point of the number of its population and that it had the vocation of a big European country, but also that the big states had rather big responsibilities than rights.
Concerning the recent events in the Republic of Moldova, the Romanian Head of State appreciated the solidarity of France and of the European Parliament, but, according to sources, he is said to have added that he would have liked the European Commission to get more involved in this respect. In his turn Sarkozy said that, under such circumstances, the response of France is to support a European Union member state. Basescu also voiced wish that the EU should have a closer relation with Azerbaijan in point of the gas and oil transit, considering the fact that this country had a strategic position.
During the meeting they also dealt with the subject of the Common Agricultural Policy, President Basescu making it clear that he agreed with France as regards its importance, especially in the context of the food problems existing in the world.
President Basescu appreciated the good French-Romanian cooperation, the meeting taking place in a friendly atmosphere, according to sources.
Traian Basescu arrived in Paris on Monday on an official visit he is paying to the French Republic.
Basescu had a meeting with President of the National Assembly Bernard Accoyer, followed by the official reception at the Elysee Palace with military honours of the Republican Guard. Then President of the French Republic Nicolas Sarkozy gave a working lunch. In the afternoon Romania's President will hold talks with Secretary General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Angel Gurria and with Premier Francois Fillon. The last item on the agenda will be a meeting with the representatives of the Romanian community at Romania's Embassy in Paris.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei