Romanian insurer Astra Asigurari boosts gross profit four-fold y/y in Q1, following hike in businessPublish date: 07-05-2009
Insurance company Astra Asigurari, owned by businessman Dan Adamescu, hiked its gross profit four times in the first quarter compared to the same period last year to 4.33 million lei, following business growth, the company announced.
The insurer had a gross profit of 1.05 million lei in the first quarter of 2008.
The company recorded a 45 percent increase in the volume of gross premiums written (GPW) in the first three months, to 199.14 million lei.
It reported GPW of 197.69 million lei on the general insurance segment, up 44 percent versus the first quarter of last year. Building and goods insurance segment boosted 367 percent in the mentioned period to 60 million lei, while the life insurance segment generated GPW of 1.5 million lei, 277 percent higher over the first three months of 2008.
Damages paid by Astra Asigurari in the first quarter amounted to 70 million lei.
Astra Asigurari targets to continue developing optional and mandatory insurance lines this year, to release new life and health insurance products and also to develop partnerships.
The Nova Trade group, controlled by Adamescu, is the main shareholder of the insurer with a 72.68 percent stake, while the Austrian group Uniqa has a 27 percent stake for which it paid 10 million euros four years ago.
Uniqa announced it let go of the plan to takeover Astra after purchase negotiations over the rest of shares stumbled over a price considered too high. Consequently, Uniqa decided to withdraw its name from the Astra-Uniqa logo.
Astra Asigurari has a share capital of 192.71 million lei divided into 72.45 million shares at a face value of 2.66 lei. Shares are listed on the Rasdaq over-the-counter market under the symbol ATRA.
The company recorded total GPW of 649.9 million lei last year, a 74 percent advance compared to the year before, and a 3.49 million lei profit.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei