Romania's Econ Min: Sterling Deal Annullment Is The Right DecisionPublish date: 24-04-2009
Annulling the contract allowing Canada's Sterling Resources to exploit hydrocarbons in blocks XIII Pelican and XV Midia in the Black Sea is a right decision and Romania's largest gas producer Romgaz might represent the country in this deal, Economy Minister Adriean Videanu said Thursday.
Iulian Iancu, the president of the Commission for Industries and Services within Romania's Chamber of Deputies, said the Government's suspicions on this natural gas and crude oil exploitation deal were confirmed, as the Canadian neither has the financial power nor the permits to unroll such deal.
"The contract with Sterling was illegally changed by Government Ordinance 11/ 2007," Iancu said.
The commission headed by Iancu will meet again with Sterling's representatives on April 28.
According to Iancu, Romania cannot end the deal with Sterling unilaterally because of the Government Ordinance 11/ 2007, but the Parliament may annul this emergency ordinance and switch the National Mineral Resources Agency ANRM with Romgaz in the contract, so that the state would benefit from 45% of the hydrocarbons production, according to the clauses of the initial oil deal inked in 1992.
In the case of the country's dominant oil company Petrom, that also owns exploitation rights in the Black Sea, Romania receives 41% of the production, through the Economy Ministry's and investment fund Fondul Proprietatea's participations in the oil firm, Iancu added.
"ANRM started an investigation to establish the possibilities to annul the deal signed with Sterling. The checks are doubled by a checkup of the Prime Minister's Control Body. So far, the conclusions indicate the possibility to terminate the contract, so that we might resort to the provisions of the initial deal inked in 1992," ANRM's head Gelu Maracineanu told MEDIAFAX on Wednesday.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei