Romania's '08 Budget Deficit Almost 5% Of GDP, Govt Bills UnpaidPublish date: 01-01-2009
The preliminary data for 2008 show a budget deficit of almost 5% of the gross domestic product, an economic growth of 8.3% and revenue worth EUR43 billion, EUR7 billion lower compared with the budget forecast, so that many of government's bills cannot be paid, Prime Minister Emil Boc stated Tuesday.
The PM said the government's contract obligations for transport, education, infrastructure, worth hundreds of millions of euros, cannot be paid due to the defective manner in which last year's budget was calculated and forecasted.
Boc said government will announce the decisions on pensions and salaries at the time of presenting the 2009 budget draft, adding that the legal and political commitments will be implemented "in accordance with the existing resources".
Former Finance Minister Varujan Vosganian said in December that the country's budget deficit widened to 2.9% of the GDP after the first 11 months, due to a slump in budget revenue in the last two months, following the international crisis. He said the budget revenue in October and November was EUR1.3 billion below the projected level.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei