The Governing Program is not even a "letter of intent"Publish date: 17-12-2008
Analysts and businesspeople said that the 2009-2012 governing program drafted by the Democratic-Liberal Party (PD-L) and the Social Democratic Party (PSD) "is not an operational economic program, but rather a list of goals, a letter of intent at best."
They added that the government should be formed prior to the drafting and presentation of a budget program.
The current Governing Program contains a series of measures to soften the impact of the economic crisis on Romania's economy. One of the main goals of this program is the countering of the negative effects of the financial crisis, and the maintaining of economic stability. Thus, the program is considering keeping the 16 percent flat tax, narrowing the budget deficit to 2.5 percent of GDP in 2009, introducing a differentiated VAT [Value Added Tax] ranging from 5-25 percent, and applying a "Robin Hood" tax for revenues generated by "external circumstantial factors." "They would have done better to wait a month or two to come up with the necessary details, and a complex budget program. You cannot talk about a 2.5 percent budget deficit when you have not included revenues and expenses. But there is also a positive side. They seem not to have understood the severity of the situation," Matei Paun, Managing Partner of the BAC Investment group, told Business Standard.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei