Small stock market investors becoming extinctPublish date: 04-12-2008
The low prices of shares on the Bucharest Stock Exchange (BVB) and the high volume of stock sales have led to a significant drop in the number of small investors on the local capital market.
BVB data shows that the number of accounts through which Romanian individuals made at least one transaction last month dropped to some 7,000, the lowest level since February 2005, when the stock market began to centralize data on investors.
In previous years, sales accounts constantly exceeded the 100,000 threshold, as these included many transactions made by Romanians who received minor amounts of shares in the early 1990s, as part of the Mass Privatization Program. Stock given to the population was named coupons, and those who received them are known as "coupon owners." Some 10 million Romanians were granted such coupons.
This year, however, due to the global financial crisis, the number of sales accounts has declined constantly, dropping in November below 10,000 accounts, for the first time in years.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei