Voiculescu interested in the banking systemPublish date: 03-12-2008
Businessman Dan Voiculescu, who controls the Grivco group, with operations in energy, media and industry, took steps to enter the banking market, according to banking sources for Business Standard.
The information was confirmed by sources close to Voiculescu, who say that discussions relating to the project began one and a half years ago, and were ongoing last summer.
When questioned by Business Standard whether he filed an application to establish a financial institution with the National Bank of Romania (BNR), Voiculescu likewise declined to comment on the information.
BNR officials said late last week that a bank with Romanian capital last week filed papers for approval. Given the timeline for approval, the lender should receive a green light four months after submitting the application.
The necessary capital for founding a bank is €10 million, not to mention funds needed for the bank's development. Lenders say that, while certain banks in the Romanian system will opt for mergers and survival techniques, the would-be 2009 banker will not have given up searching for opportunities, in spite of a worsening of international crisis effects.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei