Economic crisis claims 50,000 layoffs in Romania's private sector in October and NovemberPublish date: 24-11-2008
Romania's privately-owned companies in 30 counties sacked around 50,000 employees since the beginning of October amid the economic turmoil that blocked investments and cut demand for exports, according to Ovidiu Nicolescu, head of the council for SMEs.
The unemployment rate practically doubled in the past two months to 150,000 persons in the private sector.
The eastern counties of Botosani and Suceava were the most badly hit, with a jobless rate of almost 4 percent. The largest problems were encountered in the steel and car industries.
Around three quarters of Romania's employees, or 3.7 million persons, are currently working in the private sector.
The country's Labor Minister, Mariana Campeanu, announced on November 21 that the number of unemployed persons could reach 34,000 in May 2009, a two-fold increase on the level estimated at the beginning of November for the end of winter, of almost 17,000 persons.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei