Almost half of clients' money is in savings accountsPublish date: 21-11-2008
Savings accounts have been the main growth driver for sums attracted by banks from clients over the past year and account for almost three quarters of growth. In September, the population's savings totalled almost 83 billion RON (22.2 billion euros), 47% of which were in sight deposits, accordingto data from the NBR (National Bank of Romania).
The population's savings climbed by 23 billion RON over the last 12 months, with 71% of the sums being placed in sight deposits. This category includes both sums in current accounts and those in savings accounts. Bankers have started to introduce savings accounts in their retail offer a few years ago, with the majority of players in the system providing such products at present.
Savings accounts are structurally similar to current accounts, but banks offer interests close to those for sight deposits, if a minimum amount is kept in the balance. Apart from the increased flexibility compared with a term deposit, savings accounts also have the advantage of not being subjected to the 16% income tax.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei