Romanian banks set interests of 10% to lei deposits and of 35% to credits, BNR official saysPublish date: 18-11-2008
Banks offer interests of 9-10 percent for deposits and of 35 percent for credits in lei, raising margins following changes on the market, said the advisor of the central bank's (BNR) governor, Adrian Vasilescu.
Romanian banks hiked interests for deposits to top levels of 14 percent per year in the past months, owing to financing problems on the international markets and following the increase of the key interest rate by BNR.
"They say conditions on the market have changed, but I wonder which of them could generate such a margin," said Vasilescu.
Also, interests for credits boosted, especially in October, to100 percent, pushing up the ROBOR rate used as reference for credits in lei.
Vasilescu deems the authority for consumers' protection (ANPC) needs trained people to properly check banks and protect clients.
Banks will continue focusing on the internal market in a bid to attract deposits, but this tendency should not discourage activities on the capital markets, said Vasilescu, adding measures to limit the impact of the international financial crisis could avoid the bourse's decline following excessive savings in banks.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei