The Economic Growth Is Good, But Not Healthy - Romanian PresPublish date: 21-10-2008
Romanian president Traian Basescu said Monday in Damascus, in a meeting with the members of the Romanian community in Syria, that "Romania's economy is working and is growing, though it cannot be called a healthy growth," adding that investments in infrastructure will be unfolded next year.
Basescu wanted to share a few words with the representatives of the Romanian community, describing "the situation back home," saying that this financial earthquake on the markets in USA, the EU or Asia has not struck the Romanian banking system.
"If you follow the exchange rates, you will notice that there have been attempts for speculation on the exchange rates, but the central bank's drastic intervention blocked any such actions. So we have exchange rates within the set parameters, discussed with bank managers as well, a reasonable one, which reflects Romania," Basescu said.
Regarding the economy, the head of state said "it is working, with 9% growth."
"We need to acknowledge, however, and it is a truth we are not dodging, that the economic growth is a combination of foreign investments and consumption. I cannot say it is completely healthy, but it is a good growth," Basescu said.
Romania will not see a depreciation in economic growth, because "come next year we will begin spending the EU money," namely investments in road infrastructure, highway programs, which will unfold in the second half of 2009," the head of state said.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei