Survey indicates Romanians trust local banksPublish date: 21-10-2008
Romanians trust the euro more than they trust the national currency and the dollar and believe that bank deposits are a way to protect their savings, according to a survey made by INSOMAR polling company for The Money Channel business TV station.
Analysts indicate that, amidst the international crisis, this feeling is understandable. "I am not surprised that bank deposits top savings preferences. The percentage would have been higher had the survey not come amid the latest financial market events. This is the reason why the percentage of those keeping their savings at home is higher," Economist Dan Pascariu said.
Twenty-nine percent of those interviewed prefer bank deposits. A further 26 percent say the best way to save is by acquiring Real estate assets, while 16 percent prefer to keep their money at home.
Analyst Misu Negritoiu said that lenders preferred by Romanians are powerful banks with strong networks.
The National Savings Bank (CEC Bank), the only state-owned lender locally, Banca Romana de Dezvoltare-Groupe Societe Generale (BRD-SocGen) and Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR), Romania's top lender, owned by Austrian group Erste, are the banks trusted most by Romanians.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei