Romania's Ctrl Bk Hikes Minimum Deposit Guarantee To EUR50,000Publish date: 13-10-2008
The minimum deposit guarantee in Romanian banks will be increased to EUR50,000 from EUR20,000 over the next few days, the central bank said in a statement.
The Romanian authorities drew up a draft emergency Ordinance to increase population deposits in banks, Niculae Vulpescu, director with the Guaranteeing Fund of Deposits in the Banking System (FGDSB) said Sunday.
Vulpescu said the act might be approved in the next government meeting on October 14.
On Wednesday, Premier Calin Popescu Tariceanu announced the minimum deposit guarantee will be increased to EUR50,000, following a decision of the EU finance ministers.
"We will soon adopt the increase of the minimum deposit guarantee, in order to be in line with the European regulations," Tariceanu said.
On Tuesday, the EU finance ministers agreed to increase the minimum deposit guarantee to 50,000 euros, from 20,000 euros in order to increase depositors trust in banks.
Romanian Finance Ministry representatives told Mediafax that European ministers' decision would become mandatory only after it gets the European Council approval.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei