Romania's economy to accelerate 9% in 2008, central bank governor deemsPublish date: 05-08-2008
Romania could witness a 8-9 percent economic growth this year on a tempered annual inflation of 6-7 percent in December, said the central bank's governor, Mugur Isarescu.
Pressure from excess demand, determined in part by the 8.2 percent economic growth in the first quarter, was a contributing factor to the inflation estimate revision from 6 to 6.6 percent for 2008, the governor said.
Isarescu described the inflation report as positive in the context of an estimated tempered inflation in the following months and an alert economic growth, on an international economic downturn.
Romania is the only country for which the European Commission revised upwards the economic growth prognosis this year.
In the last report published in April, Brussels revised the 2008 economic growth estimate for Romania from 5.9 percent to 6.2 percent. However, it foresees a more temperate advance of the gross domestic product (GDP) for 2009, to 5.1 percent, down from 5.8 percent in the estimates made public in November 2007.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei