Citibank: Romania's Yr-End Inflation At 6.8%, Above Ctrl Bk TargetPublish date: 02-08-2008
Citibank sees Romania's inflation at 6.8% at the end of December, two percentage points higher compared with the central bank's target of 2.8%-4.8%, on continued pressures from local demand.
"The shocks on the supply side and the pressures coming from local demand continue to threaten the perspectives regarding inflation, Citibank analyst Ilker Domac said in a report.
The analyst welcomed the National Bank of Romania's decision to increase the key monetary policy rate by 25 basis points to 10.25%, in its seventh consecutive hike since October last year.
"We reiterate the fact that the economic overheating, the high inflationary pressures and the weak support from the fiscal policy are arguments for continuing the process of tightening the monetary policy. Therefore, we do not exclude further interest rate increases this year, which may reach 10.5% or even exceed this level by the end of the year," Domac said.
Romanian inflation slowed to 0.28% on the month in June, due to a moderate increase in food and non-food prices, but annual inflation was 8.61%, just below a two-year high of 8.63% in March.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei