Romania's central bank could hike key interest rate to at least 10.5% in 2008, analyst deemsPublish date: 02-08-2008
Romania's Central Bank (BNR) could increase the monetary policy rate to at least 10.5 percent this year, according to Citibank Romania analyst Ilker Domac, which also estimates inflation to reach 6.8 percent at the end of the year.
BNR increased the key interest rate with 0.25 percentage points yesterday, to 10.25 percent per year.
The central bank's most recent estimate regarding the annual inflation in December 2008 was of 6 percent, but BNR chief economist Valentin Lazea said it could be revised upwards in the new three-month report over inflation which will be presented on August 4.
Domac deems the national currency appreciation when the current account gap is heading towards 14 percent in the gross domestic product (GDP) represents a risky strategy, which could affect the credibility of inflation's target process.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei