Romania's leu slipped below 3.71 versus the euro after central bank raised key interest rate to 9.5%Publish date: 26-03-2008
Romania's national currency, the leu, fell slightly below 3.71 against the single European currency after the country's central bank announced 0.50 percentage points hike of the yearly key interest rate in line with analysts' expectations, dealers said.
The leu oscillated today around 3.71 and started to inch after the central bank announced its decision. However, it fell shortly after.
The leu rose as a consequence of the bank's decision, which is not sudden, but in line with the market's expectations, the chief dealer of Banca Transilvania, Ioan Birle told NewsIn.
The U.S. dollar lost ground again versus the euro on international markets, fluctuating from 1.5585 to 1.5712. At 11:25, Romania's hour, the U.S. dollar traded at 1.5698 versus the euro.
Interbank interests for overnight deposits exceeded the monetary policy rate staying at 10 percent this morning, when the market was pending the central bank's decision of raising the yearly key interest rate from 9 percent to 9.5 percent.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei