Banks lack prudence when granting Swiss franc loans, official warnsPublish date: 22-02-2008
Granting Swiss franc credits in Romania is a foolish thing to do and BRD-SocGen is not going to grant such loans, the head of Romania's second lender by assets, Patrick Gelin said.
The official is resuming a theme previously tackled by the Central Bank of Romania (BNR) governor, Mugur Isarescu. The BNR official emphasized people do not know of the risks they face when getting such a credit.
The BNR governor explained Swiss franc loans offer low returns. Investors offer such credits during financial turmoil periods, when the need to strengthen the Swiss franc exists.
A powerful Swiss franc against the leu results in more expensive credits taken in the mentioned foreign currency. Several banks in Romania grant Swiss franc or yen loans, these offering low returns because the reference rate in Switzerland and Japan is smaller than the one in the Eurozone.
Foreign currency credits hold a 53 percent share in the total private lending.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei