Annual inflation in Romania hikes 7.26% in January y/y, hits 20-month recordPublish date: 12-02-2008
Inflation in Romania rose 7.26 percent in January year-on-year owing to an increase of tariffs for services and on hiking food stuff prices, the country's statistics body INS shows.
Inflation last month almost beat analysts' estimates which placed the consumer price index at 6.9 - 7.3 percent, after incisive increase of prices for food, following several other hikes of costs and tariffs. Basic foodstuff was 9.71 percent more expensive in January 2008 versus the year before, INS showed.
Monthly inflation in January stood at 0.86 percent, after a monthly 0.80 percent increase of prices for food spurred by a 2 percent growth of fruit and vegetable prices and a 2.12 percent hike of tariffs for services, among which postal services rose the most (10.87 percent), followed by air transportation (4.43 percent) and telephone services (4.38 percent).
However, eggs, sugar and medicine cheapened a bit month-on-month in January this year.
Analysts NewsIn interviewed had forecast that the leu's drop in January would influence tariffs and prices set in other currencies, especially those calculated in euros, mostly practiced by mobile phone companies.
Romania's currency lost 4.65 percent throughout January, from 3.5289 against the euro, to 3.6930.
The wide inflation in January casts a shadow of doubt the central bank's 3.8 percent target for this year can be real. The lender's governor announced the inflation target will not be modified. "We must fight to keep inflation low," he said.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei