Romania's inflation could narrow to 5.4% in December 2008 helped by the leu, BCR saysPublish date: 04-02-2008
Annual inflation could lower to 5.4 percent this year meaning the Central Bank of Romania (BCR) would again miss the inflation target, an estimate made by Romania's largest lender by assets Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR), shows.
BNR's 2008 inflation target refers to 3.8 percent, plus or minus one percentage point. Romania witnessed a 6.57 percent inflation rate at the end of 2007.
BCR believes a key role in the disinflation process will be played by the evolution of Romania's national currency. The leu could regain some of the ground lost against the euro and should stand at a 3.50 lei/euro exchange rate, in the second part of the year.
Nevertheless, this will happen if foreign investors regain confidence in the currencies of the emerging states. BCR noted the central bank strengthened the monetary policy by increasing the key interest rate to 8 percent and by sterilizing the excessive liquidity. Yet, the investors' confidence in the leu will play a major role in this year's inflation rate.
Most of the analysts in Romania believe BNR will once again increase the monetary policy interest by 0.5 to 1 percent. The announcement is expected on February 4.
BCR analysts say Romania's inflation should lower to 4.5 percent in 2009. The higher prices for foodstuff, services widened last year's annual inflation by more that 1.5 points over the target aimed by BNR, to 6.57 percent, the National Statistics Institute said.
Inflation in Romania will be difficult to temper owing to pressures stemming from ascendant trend seen in salaries which will continue to grow as a result of workforce migration, central bank governor, Mugur Isarescu previously said.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei