Romania's economy is still riding wave of development, central bank saysPublish date: Astazi, 26-11-2007
Romania's economy is still going well in spite of recent foreign shocks which affected it, central bank's governor said, adding the lender will not tailor its inflation target for 2008, according to an interview shown on The Money Channel.
Romania's economy has slow down in its development to 5.8 percent in the first half of the year, versus 7.7 percent in the same period last year, mostly owing to the drought this summer which plagued summer and fall crops in most regions of the country.
People should not panic, governor Mugur Isarescu said, adding the situation is under control, especially concerning the inflation.
Isarescu deems the annual inflation will remain above 5 percent in December. An optimum mix is a corroboration of tight fiscal and income policies and a temperate restrictive monetary policy to avoid paving the way to a new leu appreciation which cannot be sustained, according to the governor.
Romania's economic growth rhythm will brake 1-2 percentage points to avoid the overheating of the economy, Isarescu said in an interview for the Market News International press agency two days ago.
However, Isarescu noted the economic growth will only slow down a bit, not stop, stimulated especially by the continuous investments in the country.
The slow pace of the country's economy was noticeable this year when the Gross Domestic Product rose 5.8 percent in the first half and is estimated to hike 6 percent the most, compared to the 7.7 percent increase last year, the governor noted.
However, the slowdown was partially offset by the boom in the constructions industry, Isarescu said.
He stressed the central bank is to adopt a prudent attitude towards the economy in a bid to protect it from indirect effects of the credits crisis on the U.S.
housing market which has had dramatic impact on global markets, including the stocks ones.
The Money Channel
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei