PM Tariceanu: Leu depreciation no bad thingPublish date: 22-11-2007
Romanian Prime Minister Calin Popescu-Tariceanu stated on Wednesday on the occasion of a visit he paid to Bacau (north-east of Bucharest) that the depreciation of the national currency leu is no issue to raise concerns, as, in fact, the national currency reaches thus its correct economic level and, moreover, this exchange rate stimulates the exports and brakes imports.
'The exchange rate, when it was 3.2 -3.1 lei to the euro was utterly overrated and had nothing to do with the economic reality in Romania,' the Prime Minister stressed, also underscoring what the BNR (Romanian National Bank) governor Mugur Isarescu had said, that the exchange rate of the leu has just now reached its real level compared with the performances of the national economy.
Tariceanu added that the depreciation comes with no negative effects on the economy.
'I think that it is not a bad thing the exchange rate climbs to 3.5 lei to the euro. This will significantly help the exporters and will put a brake on certain imports, which is a very good thing,' the Prime Minister said.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei