Romanian banks halt all money transfers to Iranian and Syrian banksPublish date: 21-11-2007
Romanian commercial banks have halted all money transfers to Syria and Iran after several international banks used by the Romanian ones to run the transfers took similar measures as a means to sanction the Iranian nuclear programs.
A representative of Romania's biggest bank, the Romanian Commercial Bank (BCR), told HotNews.ro that the measure was taken by all banks in the country. The move was also confirmed by representatives of other banks.
Romanian National Bank representatives were confused by the time the news was first published on the Romanian version of HotNews.ro. They could not say whether there was an official embargo or not.
Under American pressures, several major international banks partially or totally halted financial relations with Iran. Western countries are thus trying to force Tehran into putting an end to the Iranian nuclear program.
According to Romanian news agency NewsIn, the decision of the international banks comes after the UN Security Council has voted two resolutions in this regard.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei