BCR buys 70 kg of gold in 10-moPublish date: 15-11-2007
Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR), the biggest lender on the Romanian market, bought some 70 kg of gold in this year's first ten months from individuals and companies, raising the total acquired to 260 kg, according to company officials.
So far, BCR is the only bank providing this service, which was launched in December 2004. Romanians choosing to sell gold to BCR receive its value on the spot, based on the gold's quotation increases year-on-year.
Gold can take the form of gold coins issued in Romania or other countries, or fragments of these coins, medals specified in catalogues, gold bars, jewels, and gold objects of no less than 14K, including gold teeth bridge.
BCR now posts the buying rate for 24K gold every day, in addition to the foreign currency exchange rate. Once purchased from the population, the gold is melted down and sold either to the National Bank of Romania (BNR), on international markets, or to local jewelers.
"To prevent thieves selling stolen jewels through our service, at the time of the transaction, each seller must provide documents with identification data, which are registered by BCR operators," said company officials.
Romanians buy and sell some 15 tons of gold jewelry every year, according to the National Association of Precious and Semi-precious Metals and Gems, although only 30 percent is traded on official markets.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei