Barroso: Role of national parliaments to be enhancedPublish date: 07-09-2007
The role of national parliaments in the next EU reform treaty will be enhanced, European Commission President Jose Manuel Durao Barroso told a plenary sitting of Romanian Parliament on Thursday.
'Of course, this should be done in such a manner as not to reduce the legitimacy of the European Parliament', he said in answer to a question put by the head of the Liberal parliamentary group in the Deputies' Chamber.
Barroso explained that national parliaments might step in when they consider that the European institutions give laws in an area that is not the competence of these institutions.
'It is about the subsidiarity principle', he stressed.
Decisions should be made 'as close to the citizens as possible', the European Commission president said.
'I am convinced you can also do many things in this respect, you can comment on the European decisions', Barroso said. He added that it is very important that the interventions of the national legislative bodies should be made as soon as possible.
'You should send your observations when we are still at a phase of configuration, of working out the European legislation', the stressed.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei