Romania's annual inflation slows to 3.66 percent in March, trade deficit expandsPublish date: 12-04-2007
Romania's annual inflation slowed to a post-communist low of 3.66 in March, the National Statistics Institute said Wednesday.
Romania is on track to cut its inflation to between 3 percent and 5 percent this year, with the consumer price index reaching 0.07 percent in March, and 0.31 percent since the beginning of the year.
The country's trade deficit grew by 83 percent in the first two months of 2007 compared to the same period last year, to €2.56 billion (US$3.44 billion), on higher imports from the European Union, which Romania joined in January. Exports were up 12.5 percent, reaching €4.36 billion (US$5.85 billion), but imports grew by 31.3 percent.
The rise in imports was due to the continued appreciation in real terms of the Romanian currency, the leu, strong domestic demand and the removal of trade barriers after the country joined the EU. In January, Romania also aligned its tariffs for non-EU countries with those of the EU, which were generally lower.
The International Monetary Fund has urged the government to tighten public spending to keep its current account deficit under control and cut inflation.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei