Annual financial frauds figure around USD 1 blnPublish date: 14-03-2007
According to a report by the American State Department quoting data of the National Bank of Romania (BNR), the total value of the financial frauds in Romania ranges between USD 1 bln and USD 1.5 bln per year.
The trade with counterfeit goods, the fraudulent bankruptcy, the tax frauds and those related to consumption credits are the main financial frauds. Romania has also registered most cases of fraud with Internet cards. The frauds connected to value added tax account for 10 per cent of the total amount. “As regards the money laundry, the actions are caused mainly by the international organized crime groups expanding their activity in Romania and clean their profits through phantom limited liability companies.” The authors of the report stated that the trade with goods such as cigarettes, alcohol, coffee or other goods submitted to taxes represents another source of money laundry.
The report reminds the actions undertaken by Romania over the years in order to reduce the number of financial frauds. The authors of the research stress though the lack of efficiency regarding the prevention of money laundry. Romania has become a transit and deposit country for drugs. Drugs like opium and heroine are transported from South-West Asia through Turkey to the Central and Western Europe. Marijuana and heroine are the main drugs used in Romania. The drugs are introduced in the country through Constanta, brought by commercial ships but also through Moldavia.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei