Foreign Direct Investment Up in RomaniaPublish date: 17-02-2007
BUCHAREST, Romania - Foreign direct investment in Romania reached a record euro9.1 billion (about US$12 billion) last year, up 75 percent compared to 2005, according to figures published by the central bank on Friday.
Part of the increase was due to the sale of the Romanian Commercial Bank or BCR, to Austria's Erste Bank, with the government receiving euro2.2 billion (US$2.9 billion) in proceeds.
Foreign companies made large investments in the telecommunication industry _ euro1.4 billion (US$1.8 billion), while the service industry received more than euro800 million (US$1050 million).
Other significant investments included the building of a new glass factory by Saint Gobain and real estate purchases and developments by foreign groups, daily Evenimentul Zilei reported.
After years of recession in the 1990s, Romania's economy has expanded rapidly since 2000, with the gross domestic product estimated to have grown by 8 percent in 2006.
- Insurance market stagnated in 2013 while GDP chare dropped to 1.3%
- The Romanian Leasing Market as of December 31, 2013
- Millennium Bank reports best results since its launch, helped by stronger banking income and cost cuts
- BCR cheapens First Home loans and lowers interest loans for loans in lei
- Millennium Bank's new Salary account clients receive up to 600 lei bonus and their utility bills' payment
- GarantiBank and Seamless introduce SEQR in Romania: the newest mobile payment solution
- Bancpost telecom services, now provided exclusively by Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Millennium Bank cards offer discounts in Domo stores
- BCR Supervisory Board reshuffles Management Board
- NBR decide to lower the monetary policy rate to 4.25 percent per annum
- Common appointments in Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania
- Up to 5.5% annual interest rate for Millennium Bank's promotional three-month lei deposit
- Eurozone in recovery mode but gap between North and South still widening
- UniCredit Tiriac Bank and RBS Romania announce the successful completion of the retail clients' migration
- Millennium Bank grants First House loans in lei